Chronic facial pain, neck pain, and headaches are common ailments millions of Americans experience. Though these aches can have several causes, many people experience them due to Temporomandibular Disorder, which affects the temporomandibular joints (TMJs) that connect the jaw to the skull.
TMJs allow you to move your jaw to speak, yawn, swallow, and chew. However, persistent aches and severe pain in this area can be highly unpleasant and may require TMJ/TMD treatment in Belmont, NC.
Symptoms of TMD
People with temporomandibular joint disorders display several common symptoms, including:
- Pain and discomfort around the jaw
- Locked jaw or a limited range of motion in the mouth
- Ringing, pain, or stuffiness in the ears
- Muscle spasms around the jaw
- Alignment changes to the top and lower teeth
- Constant head or neck aches
- Popping or clicking sounds when moving the jaw
These symptoms may require TMJ/TMD treatment in Belmont, NC. If you are experiencing TMD pain, your doctor can customize a treatment plan to bring you relief.
Jaw Pain Not Associated with TMD
The symptoms of TMJ/TMD are not exclusive to issues with temporal bones. However, it’s best to visit your dentist to determine the cause of your jaw pain. If you don’t have TMD, you can maintain your smile and reduce discomfort by following these preventative steps:
- Do not clench or grind your teeth
- Avoid chewing gum
- Put your lips together while keeping your teeth apart to relax your face
- Chew food on both sides of your mouth
- Practice good posture
- Try not to sit with your chin in your hand
People sometimes develop TMD due to wearing braces, but that is not the only cause of the disorder. Whether or not you wear braces, TMD symptoms can worsen unless you receive TMJ/TMD treatment in Belmont, NC. If you have any TMD symptoms, contact our office for a consultation to determine if you’re a candidate for treatment.